During the past weeks and months many patients are asking how they can avoid the Corona virus and the Flu. My answer involves both things to do as well as things to avoid.
Of course keep your hands clean. In my office I have a spray bottle with home made hand sanitizer. Here is my recipe:
Homemade Hand Sanitizer Ingredients
- 2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethanol.
- 1/3 cup water.
- 8-10 drops essential oil, optional (such as lavender, vanilla, peppermint, grapefruit)
Along the same lines:
1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip – do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
My next suggestion is get a chiropractic adjustment and stay adjusted. Even a single adjustment can upregulate the immune system to help you fight off illness.
- Teodorczyk-Injeyan JA, McGregor M, Ruegg R, Injeyan HS. Interleukin 2-regulated in vitro antibody production following a single spinal manipulative treatment in normal subjects. Chiropractic & Osteopathy. 2010;18:26.
Nutritionally I suggest taking some Lauricidin every day. Lauricidin is an extract of coconut oil that can help to deactivate viruses by destroying the viral envelope. It is available in our office or you can order it online at: Lauricidin
Next, avoid depressing your immune system. Consuming sugar will greatly depress immune function so avoid all sweets. Avoid alcohol even in small amounts. Anything that depresses your nervous system will also depress your immune system. That is why most people will get sleepy when they take Benadryl.
Sleep! Not getting enough hours or having sleep time interrupted will greatly diminish immune function.