Gaining metabolic balance can be a complex problem for some people. One of the most common presenting signs is weight gain and the inability to shed that weight. This problem usually appears with increasing age and seems to worsen over time. What I hear my patients tell me is “When I was young I could lose weight quickly and easily. Now I cannot lose weight and I just see the my weight going up each year.”
Here are some of the issues that need to be investigated in order to have success:
- Thyroid Insufficiency or underactive thyroid
- Under-active thyroid function slows metabolism and causes under utilization of calories consumed.
- Insulin Resistance or blood sugar imbalance
- Insulin Resistance makes it difficult to get glucose into the cells to be burned as energy.
- Hormone Imbalance
- Hormone imbalances, including estrogen dominance and low testosterone, lead to increased fat deposition.
Each person is different and must be analyzed to see which metabolic factors are at play. You may have one or all of these imbalances going on at at once so diagnosis is a required initial step in order to have success to returning your body to proper balance and weight. Programs that include calorie restriction and exercise will work if your systems are all functioning properly. If you have tried diet and exercise and have failed or were unable to maintain proper weight then something has been missing in your program.
Call us for a no-cost 15 minute consultation to discuss your case so that we can see if we may be able to help your specific situation.